What to do if you’re injured at work

Published: 12 Sep 2019

If you have been injured at work as soon possible, after any necessary first aid, you should report your injury to your employer. Some workplaces will have an Incident Report Form to be completed but other workplaces may not have a specific form and may simply require you to notify your employer. If your workplace does not have a specific form we recommend always putting something in writing and keeping a copy for your records. If you are physically unable to report the injury a family members, friend or colleague can do it for you.


If you have taken time off work or incurred medical expenses then you may want to lodge a workers compensation claim. You must see a doctor and have your injury assessed. To make a claim you must have a Work Capacity Certificate supplied by your treating doctor. It will not be possible to make a successful claim without this certificate.

Injured workers can make a claim over the phone directly with Return to Work SA by calling 13 18 55. You can lodge your own claim you do not have to wait for your employer to do it for you. 

You can call the MUA for assistance and advice about a workers compensation claim. If your claim is rejected there are ways to dispute decisions rejecting claims in certain circumstances. You should contact the MUA if your claim is rejected and find out what your options are for disputing the decision. 


Authorised by P Crumlin, Maritime Union of Australia, Sydney