A new opportunity is available for a self-starting Organiser in Sydney, working with one of Australia’s most effective, respected and influential trade unions, the Maritime Union of Australia, a division of the Construction Forestry Maritime Mining and Energy Union.
Working in the Sydney ports, the role has responsibility for developing and sustaining the structures of the union, as well as building and maintaining membership in the workplaces.
Reporting to the Sydney Branch Secretary, the role is interesting and varied with responsibilities including, but not limited to :
- Developing organising plans
- Identifying and developing union and delegate structures in the workplace
- Encouraging, maintaining and developing union activities to activate members
- Participating in developing and coordinating union campaigns
- Maximizing membership financiality
- Identifying areas of growth to maximize membership density and recruiting in agreed areas
- Positively contributing to relationships across the union movement within the region
Your experience will demonstrate a proactive and organised approach to your responsibilities, with a sound work ethic and an ability to prioritise and plan in a busy environment.
To be considered for this role, it is essential that you will have :
- Organiser skills certification or proven organising / active union experience
- Campaigning skills specifically in maritime sector and social justice
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Well developed analytical and research skills
- Strong listening and investigative skills
- Negotiating and advocacy skills
- A proactive and organised approach demonstrating a sound work ethic and ability to prioritise and plan
- Ability to build rapport with the current membership
It is essential that you hold a current driver’s license, together with a Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC)(or be able to successfully apply for a MSIC) and qualify for right of entry at worksites.
In addition, it is preferable that you possess the relevant skills to fulfill the requirements of the role, including :
- High level of computer literacy :
- Social media platforms
- Strong graphic design
- Advanced level MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel & Outlook);
- Advanced level database;
A competitive remuneration package, including car, will be offered to the successful candidate commensurate with experience.
Applications should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include a cover letter responding to the above criteria and attach a current resume (maximum 3 pages)
Closing date for applications: 5 p.m. Friday 8 June 2018
Applicants must be permanent residents and able to work in Australia.