Stella Maris was officially opened in 1980.
Stella Maris seafarers' centre (“star of the sea”) was always about the community. This was a haven and a welfare organisation to provide services and assistance to maritime workers including international seamen and port workers. The history of Stella Maris belongs to the Darwin people. The new building of Stella Maris was built by the patrons and community of Darwin.
It was a sad day for Darwin when Stella Maris officially closed.
This could be the last chance to save Stella Maris and its historical significance to the NT.
The Traveller’s Walk known colloquially as Chinaman’s Walk was used as early as the 1880s. Passengers disembarked at the Port of Darwin and climbed the escarpment via the walkway to town. Ships also used this for the transport of cargo.
The old Railway cottage, the only one left in Darwin, built pre - Second World War sometime before 1939 still stands on this site. This was used by the Railway Master and working gangs.
This was leased and care taken by Stella Maris from 1979 after the closure of the railway. It survived both the bombing of Darwin and Cyclone Tracey.
1 McMinn St
Grass outside the Stella Maris Building
Darwin, NT 0800
Google map and directions