Seafarers who currently hold a valid Integrated Rating Certificate of Proficiency (IR COP) and have revalidated prior to the 31/12/2016, may or may not hold the compliant qualification to sail on vessels which require STCW Reg II/5 & III/5 certificates.
Our understanding is that this includes vessels that sail under Norway, Panama and Antigua/Barbados flags, but may extend to other flags we are not aware of.
If the seafarer falls into this category and requires a STCW Reg II/5 & III/5, IR COP, they are eligible to apply to AMSA on the proviso that they have completed at least 7 months sea service since being issued with the STCW Reg II/4 & III/4 IR COP.
If the IR believes he/she is eligible for a Certificate of Proficiency as Integrated Rating issued as STCW Reg II/5 and Reg III/5 they should contact AMSA by either:
- going to one of the main AMSA regional offices in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Fremantle, or
- send an email to AMSAConnect AMSAConnect@amsa.gov.au , or
- phone AMSAconnect on 02 6279 5000
For those that have to revalidate their IR COP there are two routes available:
- For those that have completed the required sea service. This means that the seafarer has at least 12 months qualifying sea service in last 5 years or at least 3 months in the last 6 months immediately preceding revalidation, have completed the continued competence refresher training in sea survival and firefighting (about 1½ days) and hold a valid Certificate of Medical Fitness.
- For those that do not have the minimum sea service in paragraph 1 above. In this case the seafarer will be required to complete two STCW courses in FULL. They are Fire prevention & firefighting (Basic fire) AND Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boat. They will also be required to hold a valid Certificate of Medical Fitness.
At the time of revalidation AMSA will determine if the IR is eligible for a STCW Reg II/5 & III/5, IR COP.
AMSA have advised that they have not issued any Minimum Safe Manning Documents to Australian registered vessels that require a seafarer to hold to Certificate of Proficiency STCW II/5 & III/5.
If a member is having any issues after contacting AMSA please contact your branch officials.