The Maritime Union of Australia has set up an Australian Flood Appeal Fund. Members and friends of our union are encouraged to donate by way of personal donations, workplace collections
The National office and branches of the union have pledged over $40,000 and the donations are rolling in from all workplaces and internationally.
Our comrades at the Norwegian seafarers union, The RMT, ILWU, MUNZ and the ITF and ETF have all sent large donations to our fund. In an act of solidarity with our suffering country.
Donations from vessels across the country have arrived and are still being collected. Worksites are voluntarily contributing a levy and asking employers to match it and our members are digging deep on an individual basis.
The collection will be distributed at a later date when the full impact on our membership can be determined and assessed accordingly.
Meanwhile the Maritime Mining and Power Credit Union has taken steps to mitigate the flood's awful impact including:
- Notifying members who are impacted by the floods to contact them for assistance in relation to their loan payments
- Working with both the MUA and CFMEU to ensure members are aware of the offer of assistance
- Identifying the number of home loans MMPCU holds in flood affected areas including Brisbane
- Supporting community activities that are designed to support flood impacted towns where members reside
- Having Business Development Officers offer their services to assist Union related initiatives particularly in Central Queensland
Comrade Doleman would like to thank the membership and our friends in other unions for their generosity. Details of how to contribute are as follows:
Account Number for internal (CU users internal transfers) account number: 802-884 4626S3 – Flood Appeal
Account number for external transfer (non credit union member) account number: 802-884 100 011 251 – Flood Appeal
Account details for International Transfers: MUA – General Fund
BSB Number: 062-006
Account number: 1001 0464
CBA Swiftcode: CTBAAU2S
Bank Address: George Street, Haymarket NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA
Reference for lodgement: Flood Appeal