From this week, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority(AMSA) will be issuing plastic credit card-sized certificates.
This move does not affect seafarers holding current paper, or passport-style certificates as they will continue to remain valid until the certificate's expiry date.
There is no need for members to reapply for certificates unless they are close to expiry.
The certificates that will be transitioned to the plastic cards include:
· Certificate of Proficiency - Integrated Rating
· Certificate of Proficiency - Chief Integrated Rating
· Certificate of Proficiency - Able Seafarer - Deck
· Certificate of Proficiency - Able Seafarer – Engine
· Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Radio Operator certificate