'I cry every day': Dad of worker killed during Barangaroo wharf construction wants coronial inquest

The father of a worker killed during construction on the NSW State Government’s $59 million Barangaroo Ferry Hub wants a coronial inquest into his son’s death.

Six months after father-of-two Tim Macpherson was crushed by a heavy steel beam, Iain Macpherson has told 9NEWS he wants “real change” for other workers so losing his son wasn’t “in vain”.

“I’d like to see a proper investigation – a proper inquest for Tim,” he said.

The Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) also claimed the wharf, which was opened in June, was plagued with safety issues for commuters and staff.

Tim, 32, was working as a rigger on Barangaroo wharf when he was killed instantly on March 1 after a heavy beam fell on top of him.

Already a father to toddler son Jack, Tim’s wife Ashleigh was pregnant with the couple’s second child when he died. She recently gave birth to their daughter.

Married in 2013, the pair had just built a new home for their growing family near Maitland, but Ashleigh has now been forced to put the house on the market.

Iain, a retired teacher, said his son’s untimely death haunts him on a daily basis.

“I cry nearly every day, nearly every day,” he said.

“I miss him, his dog misses him, my wife misses him.”

Both SafeWork and the NSW Police are investigating the exact circumstances leading up to Tim’s death.

“Everyone should be well probed over the safety of the Maeve Anne, the barge that Tim worked on,” Iain said.

“Senator Doug Cameron has raised an extensive number of questions in the Senate since Tim’s death. The union has raised safety issues.”

Maritime Union of Australia assistant branch secretary Paul Garrett said: “There has been a number of issues at Barangaroo where the government has been missing in action.

“The safety hasn’t been considered and at the end of the day, a worker has been killed.”

Barangaroo was opened by NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian on June 26 in which she described the wharves as “high quality transport infrastructure”.

Four days before the opening of Wharf 1, a MUA inspection found it was “not suitable for use”.

A second inspection two days later, the union wrote the project “is behind time, over budget, plagued with design and construction flaws and cost a worker his life in a completely avoidable incident.”

The union has documented a range of safety problems on Wharf 1 including black paint overheating, with “hot surface” signs plastered to warn commuters and staff.

Fire hoses also have no water pressure, while metal gates are too heavy to operate safely by staff, with one member breaking a finger.

Barangaroo Ferry Wharf’s Peter Church said: “We’ve had 100,000 people use this wharf since it’s opened without one complaint.”